Inside LAN-O-THON

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

All About the Temporary Tournament Steam Accounts

At our past LAN Party, RHA LAN-O-THON v3.5, we decided to purchase Temporary Tournament Steam Accounts from Valve for our LAN party to solve the age old LAN Party problem of not everyone owning the games that are being played. Buying the Temporary Accounts enabled us to give a copy of Counter-Strike: Source, Half-life 2:Deathmatch, Day of Defeat: Source and the back catalog versions to everyone who didn't own them and wanted to play with everybody else.

After reading on Valve site that they offer Temporary Tournament Steam Accounts for LAN Parties, I searched the web for others peoples experiences with them but I googled and couldn't find any information or reviews on how they worked. So now I am contributing my experiences on the process for those who are interested.

Overall the process went smoothly. Valve was fantastic to deal with. Basically after filling out the form on Valve's website, someone from Valve was assigned to my request and once he approved it he sent me the form to pay. A few days before my event they sent me a list with all of the user accounts and passwords for me to check and go over. All of them worked fine so I printed the accounts out on 3x5 cards to hand out to my LAN PArty Guests that didn't own the games.


The full walk through:

The first step is to fill out the Limited Game Tournament License Agreement Signup Form. This form is required anytime you want to have a LAN Party where Valve games are going to be played. Once your application is accepted, it grants you permission to play Valve's games in tournaments and to promote that you are playing Valve's games in any advertisements for your event.

If you are interested in purchasing any Temporary Tournament Steam Accounts, you indicate it at the bottom of the Signup Form and Valve will email you a form to fill out. The Temporary Tournament Steam Accounts cost $2 a day, per account(minimum 2 days and 25 accounts for minimum cost of $100).

After submitting the signup form, Valve sends you an automatic email to confirm your email address.

The link in this email will authenticate your email address.  Clicking on the link below will allow your tournament data to be reviewed by Valve, after which it will be approved and displayed on the Events Calendar, if you have requested this.

http://storefront.steampowered.com/v/?eak=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

*** This email is not confirmation that you have been granted a limited tournament license. ***

Thank you!
Valve Tournament Coordinator

Then a couple of days later I got an email from one of Valve's Cyber Cafe Staff with a few additional questions to answer.
Hello XXXXXX,

Thank you for submitting your tournament for approval.

Would you please reply with your answer to these questions:

Q: Are you charging your players on an ongoing basis?

Q: Are you awarding prizes to your players on an ongoing basis?

Q: If you are awarding prizes, do they come from outside sponsors or does that come from the pool of entry fees you charge the players?

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Best Regards,

Arsenio

Valve Cyber Cafe Team

I quickly replied with the answers. The next day I received the Tournament License.
Thank you for submitting your application for a Valve Limited Game Tournament License.  Your reference number is XXXX-XXX. This email serves as confirmation that your event has been approved, and is now displayed on our Tournament Calendar (if you've requested this).

http://www.steampowered.com/?area=tourney_calendar

You have indicated that you are planning to purchase temporary tournament subscriptions. If you would like to do this now, go to the following link:

http://www.steampowered.com/?area=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

If you would like to offer Valve posters, t-shirts, etc., at your tournament, please visit the Valve Store:

http://store.valvesoftware.com/

Good luck with your tournament!
Valve Tournament Coordinator

Shortly after I received another email from Arsenio. Nothing like great customer service.
Hello XXXXXXX,

I have approved your tournament.

You had indicated on the tournament sign up form that you would be interested in purchasing temporary tournament accounts. Temporary tournament accounts cost $2 USD per day. I have attached a one-time credit card authorization form. Please complete the form and email or fax it back to our office.

Can you please take a few minutes to provide some background information about your organization / your role in your organization, why you are having the tournament etc.?

Thanks,

Arsenio

So now I had a question for Valve. What was the best way to get the Temporary Tournament Steam Accounts: Fill out the page they linked to in the first email or the form that Arsenio attached in his email? So I emailed Arsenio and he quickly replied:
The link is better.

Thanks,

Arsenio

So I filled out the online form, It was simple enough, all they wanted was my name, address, credit card number and number of accounts I wanted. The next day I got my confirmation email.
Thank you for submitting your credit card information to purchase Temporary Tournament Steam Accounts for your upcoming event.

We will charge your credit card and email you a sales receipt along with the temporary account names and an installation link to download Steam at least 5 days prior to your event so you may have time to set up the software and ensure everything is running smoothly.

We require at least 5 business days before the tournament begins to complete the tournament approval/credit card charging process. If you are submitting your information less than 5 business days before the tournament begins, we will make every effort to accommodate your request. However, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to do so.

Best Regards,

Valve Tournament Coordinator

After about 2 days I got another Email. Arsenio was really on top of things.
Hello XXXXXXX,

Thank you for the feedback.

Please let me know when you enter your information for the temporary tournament accounts so that I can expedite the processing.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Best Regards,

Arsenio
Valve Cyber Cafe Team

I replied that I had already filled out the online form and I quickly got a reply.
Hello XXXXXXX,

Unfortunately, there was no credit card information included.

I am attaching a non-recurring credit card authorization form.

Would you please complete the form and fax or email it back to our office?

How many accounts will you need?

What are the beginning and end dates that you will need the accounts?

Thanks,

Arsenio

Unfortunately something with their web form didn't work right So I filled out the form he attached and all was good! A day or two later I got a bunch of emails confirming my Purchase. First I got my Receipt (it was attached as a PDF File)
Please open the attached file to view your Sales Receipt.

To view the attachment, you first need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you don't have it yet, visit Adobe's Web site http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep.html to download it.
Dear Cafe,

We received your new credit card information and processed your credit card payment successfully. You were emailed a Sales Receipt as confirmation of this payment.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

The Valve Cafe Team

And finally A personalized email from Jennifer, another Valve Cyber Cafe Staff Member who was the person who was going to be setting up the accounts for me.
Hello XXXXXXX,

My name is Jennifer and I work with Arsenio. I will be setting up your tournament. I have processed your payment and have the accounts ready to go on the 20th for your 23 and 24th dates.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Jennifer
Valve Cyber Cafe Team

It sounded like everything was good to go and sure enough on the 20th I got an automatic email with list of all of the accounts.
Hello, XXXXXXX.  We just charged your card for your temporary Steam tournament accounts for your tournament on *Feb. 23 & 24*.  You should receive a sales receipt by email in just a few minutes.

We have issued you *25 *valid Temporary Steam Tournament Logins and Passwords. Each login may be used to access a single Steam Account, which may be used on a single computer station (Seat) at your tournament location. We recommend you test these accounts as soon as you receive them to make sure everything is running smoothly prior to your event. We will disable these accounts after the conclusion of your tournament.

You may use the software programs Valve provides subject to the terms of the Steam Subscriber Agreement. The Steam Subscriber Agreement may be amended from time to time by Valve, and the most recent version may be found at http://www.steampowered.com/?area=subscriber_agreement.

By purchasing these Accounts, you acknowledge and agree to the terms of the Agreements.
__
Steam Account Logins:XXXXXXXXXXXX1 - XXXXXXXXXXXX25

**

Steam Accounts Contact Email: XXXXXXXXXX@XXXXX.com

Steam Accounts Password: XXXXXXXXXX

We recommend that you change your password as soon as possible.

If you do not have Steam already installed on your computers, please follow the installation instructions below:
__

Steam Installation Instructions

-Download the Steam Installer from our website: http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=getsteamnow and follow the instructions.

-When you reach the 'Create New Account' or 'Login to Existing Account' screen, enter the Account Name and Password we have provided above.

-Check 'Remember My Password'. This will automatically login each new customer into Steam without prompting them to enter a password (which prevents your passwords/accounts from being stolen).

-Click Login

-Time Saving Tip: When your first machine is 100% updated and the system has logged in, go to the « My Games » tab and choose the games you wish to install immediately by double clicking on that specific game. This will begin the download process. Once all the games are « 100% - ready » you can create a back-up disk for install the software on another system by right clicking on one of the game and choosing « Back-up game files

Good luck with your tournament!

Valve Tournament Coordinator

That email was followed by an email form Jennifer confirming that I got the account information.
Hello Matthew,

I have enabled your accounts for your tournament. Please let me know if you have any problems accessing your accounts.

Jennifer
Valve Cyber Cafe Team

After I got the accounts I created an Excel spreadsheet with each of the accounts and a random password. Then I logged into each one and changed the password to new one. I found that one of the accounts had been VAC Banned and Jennifer was kind enough to quickly correct this by sending me another account
Hello XXXXXXX,

Go ahead and use account XXXXXXXXXXXX26. Please let me know if you have any further problems.

Jennifer
Valve Cyber Cafe Team

I printed out the accounts on address labels and stuck them on 3x5 cards to hand out to the people who needed a copy of the games. Everything worked out great. We had full game servers all night and had several nice tournaments.

Overall, the process went smoothly. Everyone I came into contact with over at Valve was great and replied quickly to any questions I had. For LAN-O-THON v4.0, We plan on getting the Temporary Accounts again. Thanks Valve!

2 comments:

James Byles said...

Cheers! I wasn't aware of this magic from Steam - will probably be using it next time we host a LAN!

Anonymous said...

Hey great post,
i have been facing trouble with steam, regarding the tournament inquiry.
Unlike yours, i have terrible experience with the inquiry.

if they approved it, could you please tell me if i want to organize a LAN tournament how much $$$ i will have to pay them ? for temporary accounts or anything else ??

Games - Counter strike Source only

- my tournament will have MAX 12 teams (4 players per team)
- It will be 2 days event.
- I will have at least 9 PCS. (8 for players(4x4)and 1 for admin)
- I will charge all the participates (per team basis)
- I will not have any sponsors, the winning price will be given from the fees i have charged to players.

also please tell me where or how will i get the CSS to install in all the PC's

please help me as i am new to all this and not sure wat to do ???